Friday, October 28, 2011

Silent Night, Holy Night

Inspiration

The Nativity Scene stamp set from the Heartfelt Creations' Classic Christmas Collection is a sweet image that reminds me of childhood plays at church. One of my most vivid memories was one year I was chosen to be the arch-angel singing praises to the newborn king and I was SO excited. Unfortunately, I caught the flu a couple of days before the pageant, but would not give up the role, even when I was running a fever. Uncharacteristically, my parents let me go and my Dad stood in the wings - when I got too dizzy he came and picked me up and carried me to the car and home and bed. This image captures that classic Nativity scene - the child in the manger on a silent, holy night.

This card uses the Grand Labels dies to create a shaped card. Instead of cutting the card in one piece, I cut 2 labels and scored one near the top to create a small flap that adheres to the back of the first label and creates the card. I liked this approach on this one because it lets the entire label shape be embossed for the front of the card.

Silent Night Holy Night

Ingredients

Note: Finished card size is 5" x 7"

Paper

Scarlett Jewel (Papertrey Ink)5 1/2" x 8 1/2" (2 pieces)
Vintage Ivory (Papertrey Ink)5 1/2" x 8 1/2"

Inks

Memento Rich Cocoa (Tsukineko)

Stamps

HCPC 3431 Nativity Scene PreCut Set (Heartfelt Creations)
HCPC 3419: Holiday Poinsettia Candle PreCut Set (Heartfelt Creations)

Accessories

Labels Large Nestabilities (Spellbinders)
Large Labels Grand Nestabilities (Spellbinders)
Big Shot Pro (Sizzix)
COPIC markers (Imagination International)
SPICA pen (Imagination International)
ATG (Scotch)
Scor-Pal
Scissors

Instructions

BASE CARD

Cut/emboss 2 red panels using the second-smallest Labels Grand die. On one of the panels, score a line just below the curve of the corners at one end. Adhere this to the back of the other panel to form the card.

IMAGE

Cut/emboss an ivory panel using the smallest Labels Grand die. Use a gold SPICA pen to color the embossed edge of the panel. Stamp the image in brown ink at one end of the panel. Color with COPIC markers. I used these colors:

  • DUCKS: Y00, Y02, YR65
  • CHICKENS: YR000, YR14
  • DONKEY: W0, W2, W5, R20, E39
  • CALF: E30, E35, E37, E93
  • SHEEP: C0 C2, 0
  • DOG: E70, E74
  • MANGER: Y13, Y15, Y17, E55, E57
  • BABY: E00, SPICA gold

SENTIMENT

Stamp the sentiment in brown ink on ivory card stock. Cut/emboss the sentiment using a Labels die. Use the gold SPICA pen to color the embossed edge of the panel, and mount it above the nativity scene.

Thanks for stopping by!

Blue_Orange

3 comments:

Glenda said...

This is so beautiful! Your coloring is perfect and I love the touch of gold!

Helen said...

Such a beautiful card and story!

Caroline D. said...

Such a pretty card! Looking forward to getting to know you and working with you on the Heartfelt DT!

Post a Comment

Your kind comments make my day!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin